Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Bachelor: Seattle


Once in a great while my wife and daughter go out of town and leave me to fend for myself.

When they're home, we're all very homebodied. I come home from work and we all spend most every evening together, chasing each other around the house, giving the little one a bath, sitting down together for dinner, putting the baby to bed. Once in a while one of us goes out with friends for a few hours but for the most part we spend all of our free time together.

This week I've been by myself; temporary bachelor. My wife, before she left, reminded me to eat colorful food. Her way of telling me that macaroni and cheese, pizza, grilled cheese and tomato soup are not healthy in large doses. I've been mostly good in that regard. That's not the reason for posting today.

I'm finding that after some years of being a family-centric homebody, I complain to my wife a lot about how I'd like to get out of the house and socialize more. The past week has been a case study in the reality of that request. I managed to set up outings and visits with friends most nights this week, and at the end of the day, what I've found is that what I really want to do is go home, kiss my daughter, sing some songs, dance, play "ring around the rosie" and "airplane". The idea of another night on the town this week seems exhausting. I cancelled plans with one friend last night, and another engagement popped up in it's place.

I'm already bored of being single. I'm sorry, I don't really want to go to the bars. Let's build a fire and get out the crayons.

No comments: